I think this design is a better approach but only if
it's based on human tendencies (aka max 2 movies at a
clip)
Othewise (and if I'm missing something tell me please)
if they should decide to enter 5 or 10 then the form
comes at them 5 or 10 times.

Your right though my RAD will allow it.  Right now
I've created a series of pages, with options to either
enter another one (next page), or proceed to the next
category.

In effect that would be similar. Fortunately unlike
movies, this form is probably going to be used
infrequently. Once they've maxed out , the only option
after this is replace or delete.

Finally I don't think M2M or 12M make total sense to
me.  I'm not sure about the interim table.  A query
with some joins would net back the same results.  What
I think is it's necessary to the 12M process.

Thank you,
Stuart