On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Lehman, Jason (Registrar's Office) wrote:

> I am switching from a Windows computer to a Linux computer and when I
> dump the data from Windows to Linux I have no problem except for the
> fact that some of my characters have been converted to strange
> characters and when the data is displayed on a web page they show up as
> ?.  I am sure that it has to do with character sets but I am not sure
> what to do about it.  Any help would be appreciated.

I suspect you are using MySQL version 4 or later?  I'm not sure how/what
you are using to extract the data and display it on a web page but we had
a similar problem after we upgraded from MySQL 3.23.18 to 4.0.18 and our
experiences may be of some help to you.

We use Macromedia Cold Fusion MX 6.1 with apache on Linux - as Cold Fusion
is an ODBC-oriented environment, they supply the Merant ODBC driver for
MySQL to connect the two. After the upgrade, things like the UK pound
symbol and apostrophes in text fields were being displayed as black
squares or '?' on a web page even though they appeared correctly if viewed
with the mysql command-line client. After a lot of investigation I eventually
found that I had to add a parameter like:

        useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=Windows-1252

to the ODBC/MySQL driver which solved the problem.

It sounds to me as if you have a similar problem in your environment
although the fix in your case will be different.

Andy