Jose:

It looks like you can log in to the mysql client as root. Do you have
permission to change the password once you're logged in?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] jusoz]$ mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor...

mysql>USE mysql;
Database changed.

mysql>UPDATE user SET Password = PASSWORD( 'xxxx' ) WHERE User = 'root';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.03 sec)
Rows matched: 2  Changed: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql>FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.05 sec)

mysql> quit;

Then see if logging in as expected works:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] jusoz]$ mysql -u root -pxxxx

Wes