Naveen,

You don't need to shut down the master but you have to stop writing
to the database for taking the snapshot. Follow the description in
the manual:

  3. If you are using MyISAM tables, flush all the tables and block
     write queries by executing `FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK' command.

          mysql> FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK;

     and then take a snapshot of the data on your master server.

     <snip>

     While the read lock placed by `FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK' is in
     effect, read the value of the current binary log name and offset
     on the master:

          mysql > SHOW MASTER STATUS;
          +---------------+----------+--------------+------------------+
          | File          | Position | Binlog_Do_DB | Binlog_Ignore_DB |
          +---------------+----------+--------------+------------------+
          | mysql-bin.003 | 73       | test,bar     | foo,manual,mysql |
          +---------------+----------+--------------+------------------+
          1 row in set (0.06 sec)

     The `File' column shows the name of the log,  while `Position'
     shows the offset. In the above example, the binary log value is
     `mysql-bin.003' and the offset is 73. Record the values. You will
     need to use them later when you are setting up the slave.

     Once you have taken the snapshot and recorded the log name and
     offset, you can re-enable write activity on the master:

          mysql> UNLOCK TABLES;

Regards,
Thomas Spahni