I'm having a problem figuring out how to deal with foreign characters in
text that was copied from an MS Word document and pasted into a form field,
then stored in a MySQL DB. (I have MySQL 3.23.58 running).

I'm not how sure how these characters are being stored in the MySQL
database, but, when I retrieve the text and run it through PHP's
htmlentities() function, each foreign character is converted into 2 other
foreign characters that don't at all represent the original.

For example, a lowercase u with an umlat over it (ü) is somehow displayed as
an uppercase A with an umlat over it followed by the 1/4 symbol after parsed
by htmlentities(). A lowercase o with an ulmat displays as an uppercase A
with an umlat over it followed by the paragraph symbol. It seems that the
uppercase A w/umlat is a constant, and the next character changes.

How are these foreign characters being stored in the DB? Do I need to do
something in order to store these characters properly, or is this something
I need to somehow do on the PHP side of things??

Thanks!

Monty.