Hello Rhino,

I am not sure how familiar you are with the character set settings.

I am not using 3.xx versions anymore, but if I remember correctly they
only allow a limited control for setting character sets.

Your best guess might be the documentation that comes with your installation.

(Man pages, Info, Chapter 11 of the MySQL docs. etc.) You can view it also
online

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Charset.html

but as this is the newest version, you will have to filter out what doesnt
apply to your version yet.

In order to be able to give you any advice you need to be more specific.

Which character sets are set now for the server and the client as default ?
Are the "foreign characters" in the same character set ?
Are you attempting to store the "foreign character" together with your
default characters in the same table / same DB ?

You may also read through my presentation "Using MySQL in a Japanese
environment" which can be found here

http://www.be-known-online.com/mysql

I am not sure if this really helps you, as I dont yet fully understand
were to start trouble shooting.

If you could be a bit more specific that would help a lot.

best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan