Hello, I wonder if you can help me.

For a university project I've got a database with several tables using columns
set up with 'auto_increment'. I've discovered that the value that the system
creates for a new record is one greater than the largest one which has existed
even if the records with the largest values have been deleted.  I've read the
docs and read the part which says that this is the way myISAM tables handles
auto_increment and that ISAM tables create a value which is one greater than the
largest value currently existing.

>From this I've presumed that I'm using myISAM tables but is there any way I can
make the auto_increment feature work the way it does with the ISAM tables?

And what exactly are myISAM and ISAM tables?
(a quick web search gave me: -the Information centre for South African Music
                             -the Institute for the Study of American Music
                             -International Swimwear and Active Market)

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Jamie.