I believe that this behaviour is standard for autoincrementing fields on all
database systems that support them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Wehowsky [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Fri, 04 May 2001 10:37
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: auto_increment

Letīs say I got a column "id" that is of type tinyint and has the extra
"auto_increment". Letīs further say that I have 50 entries in that
column. Now if I delete e.g. entry No. 30 and right after that add
another entry without naming an id (for ist auto_increment) MySQL gives
it the id 51 AND NOT 30 which leads to more and more gaps between the
idīs. Is there anything i can do about that ?

Best regards,

Stefan Wehowsky