the ft_min_word_length is now set to 3. That did the trick. Many thanks.

I forgot to mention that I need to be able to perform boolean searches on the first_name field.
If it's possible to do boolean searching on a normal index, should I be doing that instead of using a fullttext?

Thanks for the help!
Ari