I am sorry to say this but I believe you are confusing one product with
another.  In order to connect to a Linux machine, open a user session
(from any platform), and act like a generic user, you need some type of
remote shell utility. I use Cygwin as my remote shell but there are
others, many others, out there.

Your MySQL client on your XP box can login and create a session on
practically any MySQL server. The ability to create that session depends
mostly these two things:
1)  if you have communications access to it (it's on, listening, and
available from your IP address)
2) if you have a valid MySQL account on it that permits you access.

That kind of connectivity is separate and distinct from being logged into
the Linux box as a Linux user.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine