E SA wrote:
Mr. Brasseur,

"Miss" Brasseur, but you could not have known so no offense is taken.

OpenSSH is installed in the server in its default
location.  Still, no luck.

Configure goes on without problems, and then make
gives me the following error message:

gcc -DDEFAULT_CHARSET_HOME=\"/data/MySQL\" -DDATADIR=\"/data/MySQL/var\" -DSHAREDIR=\"/data/MySQL/share/mysql\" -DDONT_USE_RAID -I. -I. -I.. -I./../include -I../include -I./.. -I.. -I.. /data/OpenSSL/include/openssl -O3 -DDBUG_OFF -MT libmysql.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libmysql.Tpo -c libmysql.c -o libmysql.o gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations make[2]: *** [libmysql.lo] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory `/data/software/tars/mysql-4.0.20/libmysql_r' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/software/tars/mysql-4.0.20' make: *** [all] Error 2

Any other ideas?

This problem is not related either to OpenSSL or to OpenSSH. The main error above is "gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations". That means the problem lies with GCC or, more specifically, with the parameters which are being passed to it.

A quick Google search on the GCC error turned up some hints. For starters, according to this article, you should have a look at your imake: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/1998-11/msg00367.html

It is, however, an old posting and therefore might not apply in this case. Which version of GCC are you using? You may need to consider upgrading it. Many of the references turned up in the Google search speak of this as a good idea.

Here is the Google search which was performed. Please read through the references available here and give some things a try:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=%22gcc%3A+cannot+specify+-o+with+-c+or+-S+and+multiple%22&btnG=Search

Cheers,

--V

Thank you for your help!

--- "V. M. Brasseur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

OpenSSH != OpenSSL. Just because you have one
installed doesn't mean that the other is. Apparently the MySQL compilation
using OpenSSL requires OpenSSH for some reason. You might want to
try installing it and giving the compile another whirl:

http://www.openssh.com/

Also, the exact output of the ./configure message
you're receiving might help people get a better handle on exactly what the
problem might be.

Cheers,

--V

E SA wrote:

All,

I already sent this message once, but I got no

answer.

Has naybody successfully compiled MySQL with

OpenSSL

NOT in /usr/local/ssl?

I can not use stunnel, and I have not found

anything

in
google.

Please let me know.

- -

-

Original post:

All,

I am trying to compile MySQL with OpenSSL in an
alternate location ( /data/OpenSSL ).

When I do that either configure will say that no
installation of OpenSSH is there (even with the
--with-openssl-includes= and --with-openssl-libs=

),

or it will compile without OpenSSL support ( show variables like ... ).

My configure is as follows:

./configure --prefix=/data/MySQL
--exec-prefix=/data/MySQL \
--enable-thread-safe-client --enable-assembler \
--enable-local-infile

--with-extra-charsets=complex \

--disable-shared --with-openssl=/data/OpenSSL \
--without-docs --with-vio

--with-openssl-includes=/data/OpenSSL/include/openssl

\
--with-openssl-libs=/data/OpenSSL/lib

Has anybody successfully compiled MySQL with

OpenSSL

support in an alternate location?

The MySQL version is 4.0.20.

Any help would be appreciated.