Hi,

I am trying to compile MySQL. I know that it is possible to install this
as a binary, that is not my goal.

My environment consists of the following: If there are other tools that
I need to specify please let me know.
gcc-3.2-7
libgcc-3.2-7
gcc-c++-3.2-7

I run configure as specified at the MySQL site: From config.log:

   ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-extra-charset=complex
--enable-thread-safe-client --enable-local-infile --enable-assembler
--disable-shared --with-client-ldflags=-all-static
--with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static

When I run make I receive the following output:

libmysql.c:1850: warning: passing arg 5 of `gethostbyname_r' from
incompatibleointer type
libmysql.c:1850: too few arguments to function `gethostbyname_r'
libmysql.c:1850: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without
a castmake[2]: *** [libmysql.lo] Error 1

I have googled this error message and the result include the following
recommendation from MySQL:

"This is known problem with RedHat. In order to build MySQL you need to
have g++
installed from separate RPM

In RedHat 8.0 RPM in quesiton is gcc-c++-3.2-7.i386.rpm"

It appears that I have installed gcc-c++-3.2-7.i386.rpm as you can see
above from my build environment obtained by:

rpm -qa | grep gcc

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew