In a further followup to my needing to combine colummns, I have the two
following SELECTS that each work when I do them alone

select empssn,paycode_1,payrate_1 from paympe where not paycode_1 = '000'
select empssn,paycode_2,payrate_2 from paympe where not paycode_2 = '000'

However, when I do

select empssn,paycode_1,payrate_1 from paympe where not paycode_1 = '000'
union all
select empssn,paycode_2,payrate_2 from paympe where not paycode_2 = '000'

I get a syntax error

According to the docs, this should work in versions past mySQL 4, and I seem
to be running a version rather later than that

mysql  Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.52, for pc-linux (i686)

What am I doing wrong here? I have two valid SELECT statements; the field
sizes and types are the same (indeed, empssn is the same field).  This
SHOULD provide me with what I'm looking for, but...

--
Dave Weingart, Sr. Programmer/Analyst    "I can call modules from the vasty
Private Label Services                    deep." -- "Why, so can I, or so