On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 14:12, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> According to the docs, this should work in versions past mySQL 4, and I seem
> to be running a version rather later than that
>
> mysql  Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.52, for pc-linux (i686)
>
> What am I doing wrong here? I have two valid SELECT statements; the field
> sizes and types are the same (indeed, empssn is the same field).  This
> SHOULD provide me with what I'm looking for, but...

The command:
  mysql --version
shows the version of the mysql client program.  You are running version
11.18 of the mysql client program from the MySQL 3.23.52 distribution,
or what is commonly called "MySQL 3".

The syntax allowed in queries is dependent on the version of the mysqld
(and other) binaries that the SERVER users.  I suspect you are running
mysqld from the MySQL 3.23.52 distribution also.  This a version that is
earlier than MySQL 4, and doesn't support UNIONs.