On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:24:23 -0700, Andrew Kreps wrote:

> I've recently been doing a lot of work on keyword searches.  The
> methodology I've adopted consists of generating a list of keywords
> based on the product information (while removing noise words), and
> creating a table with one keyword per line, relating to the product ID
> (many rows per product).  The keyword search runs off of the keyword
> table, and no keyword specific information is stored in the product
> table.
>
> In my experience, there are a couple of downsides to this way of
> handling it.  For example, complex keyword queries (in my case, 4 or 5
> specific words) start taking a long time to run, around 5-10 seconds
> on a 15,000,000 row keyword table (since I have to join the table with
> itself).  I also am not doing any kind of substring searching, it only
> matches whole words.
>
> I haven't even begun to look at doing a fulltext search on a
> description field, I've assumed that it would be a more expensive
> operation.  Good luck, and I'd like to hear if you run into any good
> ideas.
>

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:26:22 -0500, Robb Kerr
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Anyone created one? I've got a project that consists of a product catalog
>> which the client wants to be "keyword" searchable. I have thought through
>> several possible construction scenarios...

I'm assuming that you've already got product descriptions that you can
parse and pull out keywords. This is a brand new project with brand new
products (actually clipart and photos). I don't even have a starting place
for generating a keyword list. I'm gonna have to have some type of form for
uploading images and choosing the associated keywords. And, then of course,
if the keywords are in a separate table, although easy to do, I've still
got to create a form for adding possible keywords.

I'll let you know if someone responds with a better structure.

Thanx,
--
Robb Kerr
Digital IGUANA