Hello,

Tell us the OS, the MySQL server and client version and the build information
(custom or binary downloaded from MySQL.com).

Redhat Enterprise Linux 3, self-build mysql 4.0.20 (server and client).

This *might* be a problem of resolver in glibc.

I don't see a reason why it should be a resolver problem? The error messages says "lost connection _during_ query", this means that the connection is already established, so obviously the resolver already did it's job to find out the ip-address of the mysql-server. And anyway: I used bind-address before and it worked. I just don't understand why it doesn't work again now. Mysql itself is starting correctly and the server log doesn't show anything. But the clients are losing the connection.

Regards
Marten