That's correct. You successfully created the table (you didn't get an
error message did you?) and neither wrote any records to nor changed any
records on the new table: "Query OK, 0 rows affected ..."

This format is more useful when you use the compound form of "CREATE
TABLE" that allows you to populate it as you create it.
(read: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/CREATE_TABLE.html)

CREATE TABLE tmpTest SELECT * From spamdata;

Assuming you have the correct rights and that there are 876 rows of data
in spamdata, you should see:

"Query OK, 876 rows affected..."

Shawn Green
Database Administrator