On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 02:22:59PM -0400, Debbie L wrote:

> Your right, I shouldn't say supported... Is it a wise to put
> datafiles on a disk appliance?  Coming from other database
> background, it is not wise to do such a thing and will cause
> problems when the disk appliance has problems.

Well, it's very common in the world of big iron databases.  I know
that man companies routinely store A LOT of their Oracle data on
Netapp or EMC gear.  Some are doing it with MySQL now too.

As for reliability, these disk systems tend to be far more reliable
than the hosts connecting to them (at least on the low end).  There's
a lot of redundancy because they're designed for just this sort of
application.

> As for the transaction logs, I haven't reallly thought of it, but to
> my understanding management wants it all on the appliance.

That's how I'd do it.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

[book] High Performance MySQL -- http://highperformancemysql.com/