I installed PHP 4.3.1 via source and used the following option when
configuring:

./configure --with-mysql

The database has worked great for a couple of years, however I noticed a
problem today.

Phpinfo() returns MySQL Version 3.23 from a php script.

        Client API version              3.23.49
        MYSQL_MODULE_TYPE               builtin
        MYSQL_SOCKET                    /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
        MYSQL_INCLUDE                   no value
        MYSQL_LIBS                      no value

However, issuing 'mysql -V' at the command line returns version 4.0.1.

So I assume the version of MySQL bundled with PHP 4.3.1 is in fact 3.23.49
and this is overriding my standalone installation.

Without recompiling, is there a way to upgrade the bundled client?

Thanks!