Stembridge, Michael wrote:
So I assume the version of MySQL bundled with PHP 4.3.1 is in fact

3.23.49

and this is overriding my standalone installation.

It's not overriding anything, it's doing what you asked: in your configure you told PHP to use its built-in (MYSQL_MODULE_TYPE) MySQL support.

Without recompiling, is there a way to upgrade the bundled client?

No - I believe you need to recompile PHP (this path assumes an RPM installation of MySQL):

Yes, MySQL is installed via RPM.

So, when I recompile PHP I should leave -off- the '--with-mysql'
configuration option altogether?

no --with-mysql=/usr is the right to compile php using your standalone mysql installation.

If yes, how does PHP know MySQL exists on the system, or is this handled
automatically behind the scenes?

Additionally I suggest to take a look at the output from ./configure --help in your php source tree and have a look at php.net/mysql and php.net/mysqli

Regards Friedhelm