At 02:04 AM 9/24/2004, Egor Egorov wrote:
Jeremy Zawodny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > And we've had good but limited experiences so far with 64 bit FreeBSD
>> > 5 on amd64 (also a quad w/32GB).
>>
>> Somewhere in this list I've seen controversial reports about FreeBSD/amd64.
>> Seems like it's not yet stable and may give unpredictable performance
>> behaviour, no?
>>
>> What's your opinion?
>
> Agreed. FreeBSD's production release is 4.10. The 5.x tree is still
> a work in progress, much like MySQL 4.1.

We are speaking of AMD64 port, are we?

I might as well put in my 2 cents here since myself and several others did many MANY MySQL
benchmarks with AMD64 hardware and various FreeBSD and Linux OS installs and configurations.

Bottom line?

As of about 2-3 months ago or so mandrake64
"out of the box" (free ISO install) beat any and all flavors of FreeBSD nearly 2 to 1 (twice as many queries per second).
Another person I was talking with was using the Debian64 beta and getting similar results (on basically identical hardware).

Before people start screaming "troll! troll!" and saying how we must have tested wrong, or unfairly, or
this way or that way... it should be known that there are probably almost 100 messages on the subject with us,
others, and people on the FreeBSD development team bouncing ideas back and forth as to why
the results were so poor vs what we were getting in Linux. There was no end-user solution provided in the end.

Before you start flaming please catch up first. There are threads on the subject in:

freebsd-amd64
freebsd-threads
freebsd-kernel

It starts here...
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2004-May/001247.html

But people top posted a lot and broke up the archive. So click "thread" and scroll down
so you can see the rest of the posts. The discussions weren't limited to that mailing list though.
I think that just might have been the first list they were posted to before it was suggested to
be a problem for the -threads list, thren -kernel, then -threads again. At that point I had ran
out of time.

I love FreeBSD myself... so having to use Linux to get this kind of performance out of the MySQL server
kind of sucks for us as well.

Maybe the FreeBSD team has made improvements where the performance was lacking since those discussions.
I'll be doing benchmarks again in a couple weeks to find out.

- JG