You didn't even say that (svr, started, ended, volume, who, action) was a
unique combination of values for either table.  If that is the case then
you will have a hard time matching rows of one table uniquely to rows of
the other table.

Shawn,

Sorry for the lack of clarity on my part. The combination should be unique for each of the tables, and there should be one record in table_b having the same combination as the each record in table_a.

It is looking like there are duplicated rows, and I'm going to have to get them cleaned out.

Thanks for your assistance,

Ted