One thing you could do, which may not be the best, is insert one (or
some set limit) of rows at a time, then after each sleep for .25 seconds
or something, so that your inserts get spread out more over time, and
there is idle time between them for the selecting clients to complete.
Obviously this means the total number of inserts you can support is
lower, but it sounds like that may be ok, and you just don't want them
consuming all resources for short period when they could spread out and
still let client requests be fast.

I'm not sure why insert delayed didn't work, the manual clearly says it
should, I'm going to try it hout shortly and see if it works for me.

John