My MySQL 4.0 server tells me it reads these configuration files in the
given order:

        /etc/mysql/my.cnf /var/lib/mysql/my.cnf ~/.my.cnf

The first contains the skip-networking option, which I would like to
override in the second file. The documentation states that
skip-networking is a parameterless option (unlike e.g. log-bin=[file]),
so I can't do

        skip-networking=false

in the second file to switch networking on again. Is there some other
way to do this?

[As to why I want to do this: I have an automatic nightly software
update running. Whenever the MySQL server package is updated, it stops
my MySQL server, tries to install a new version, fails because I've
edited /etc/mysql/my.cnf, does not update the software and does not
restart the server. So I'd now like to keep the first config file as
delivered and would like to make my settings in the
/var/lib/mysql/my.cnf one which isn't overwritten by the distribution.
To do this, I need to reenable networking, which is switched off by the
standard dist file.]