Does anyone know of a quick way to get the number of rows in a database from the command prompt.

I run a cron job that does a mysql dump nightly from a prod server piped to a standy server.
It's a 2 line shell script including outputting the date at time.

After the dump, I would like to output the number of rows in the prod database and the newly updated standby database to make sure these match. The output is e-mailed to me, so in the morning I could simply see if they match and be assured that the dump went well.

Thanks,
Mike