I realize this may be a little OT but I'm sure many of us MySQL rookies
would be interested in the responses.

I would be interested in hearing how someone goes about planning the layout
of their database including how they determine what tables, fields, column
types, queries, etc they will need.  How do you start the process?  How do
you determine the correct questions to ask of your application?  Do you use
some kind of diagramming tool?  Blah... Blah... Blah...

Thanks!

Jeff