Thanks for the link =)

I understand what you're saying about MySQL not being designed as a
filesystem.  I've used this same argument with others.  It's just that...
well, have performance boosts have decreased the margin of difference?
Especially when web-page caching is being used - don't the images get cached
as actual files?  If so, the original method of storage would be a mute
point.  That's what I'm trying to find out.  What do you think?

-Ed