One issue could be that an int column unsigned can only hold up to
4294967295 a ten digit number. Plus if you put it in a context of a
phone number... only area codes 428 or lower will have ALL THE
EXCHANGES and ALL THE UNIQUE NUMBERS in the range... with part of area
code 429

A bigint will hold the complete range you are looking for.... However,
I would sugest that since you mostlikely are not going to be doing
mathematical operations on a phone number that you use a varchar or
char field.

Maybe someone could correct me but aren't regex for strings only?

Gary