Hello,

We want to be able to insert records into a table containing a billion records in a
timely fashion.
The table has one primary key, which I understand is implemented using B-trees,
causing insertion to slow by log N.
The key field is an auto_increment field.
The table is never joined to other tables.
Is there any way we could implement the index ourselves, by modifying the MyISAM table
handler perhaps? Or writing our own?
In our setup record n is always the nth record that was inserted in the table, it
would be nice to just skip n * recordsize to get to the record.

Also, could someone shed some light on how B-tree indexes work. Do they behave well
when values passed in are sequential (1, 2, 3, ...) rather than random values?

Thanks in advance,
-Phil