If you are using MyISAM tables, have you thought about using MERGE
tables instead? You could partition your table into several smaller
tables. I don't know how the performance would be on a billion record
table, but from my understanding it would shrink your index down.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/MERGE.html