How to run multiple instances of the MySQL server is documented in the manual <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Multiple_servers.html>. Did you follow those directions? It appears that you did not.

We shouldn't do your homework for you, but we can answer specific questions if you get stuck.

Michael

kemas wiharja wrote:

Dear sir,

I am college student from Indonesia which is holding a research in mysql. For doing my research, i have to install and running multiple servers on the
same time and on the same machine. I have install 2 mysql server ver 4.0.15
in my computer, but until now, only one server could run in my machine. I
have made changes in my.cnf like this :

# Example mysql config file.

# Copy this file to c:\my.cnf to set global options

#

# One can use all long options that the program supports.

# Run the program with --help to get a list of available options

# This will be passed to all mysql clients

[client]

#password=my_password

port=3306

#socket=MySQL

# Here is entries for some specific programs

# The following values assume you have at least 32M ram

# The MySQL server

[mysqld1]

port=3306

#socket=MySQL

skip-locking

set-variable     = key_buffer=384M

set-variable     = max_allowed_packet=1M

set-variable     = table_cache=512

set-variable     = sort_buffer=2M

set-variable     = record_buffer=2M

set-variable     = thread_cache=8

# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency

set-variable     = thread_concurrency=8

set-variable     = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M

server-id          = 1

# Uncomment the following if you want to log updates

log-bin

# Uncomment the following rows if you move the MySQL distribution to another

# location

#basedir = d:/mysql/

#datadir = d:/mysql/data/

# Uncomment the following if you are NOT using BDB tables

#skip-bdb

# Uncomment the following if you are using BDB tables

#set-variable   = bdb_cache_size=384M

#set-variable   = bdb_max_lock=100000

# Uncomment the following if you are using Innobase tables

#innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:2000M;ibdata2:2000M

#innodb_data_home_dir = c:\ibdata

#innodb_log_group_home_dir = c:\iblogs

#innodb_log_arch_dir = c:\iblogs

#set-variable = innodb_mirrored_log_groups=1

#set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3

#set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=5M

#set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M

#innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1

#innodb_log_archive=0

#set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=16M

#set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=2M

#set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=4

#set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50

[mysqldump]

quick

set-variable     = max_allowed_packet=16M

[mysql]

no-auto-rehash

# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL

#safe-updates

[isamchk]

set-variable     = key_buffer=256M

set-variable     = sort_buffer=256M

set-variable     = read_buffer=2M

set-variable     = write_buffer=2M

[myisamchk]

set-variable     = key_buffer=256M

set-variable     = sort_buffer=256M

set-variable     = read_buffer=2M

set-variable     = write_buffer=2M

[mysqlhotcopy]

interactive-timeout

[mysqld2]

port=3307

#socket=MySQL

skip-locking

set-variable     = key_buffer=384M

set-variable     = max_allowed_packet=1M

set-variable     = table_cache=512

set-variable     = sort_buffer=2M

set-variable     = record_buffer=2M

set-variable     = thread_cache=8

# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency

set-variable     = thread_concurrency=8

set-variable     = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M

server-id          = 2

basedir = d:/Program Files/mysql/

datadir = d:/Program Files/mysql/data/

So, what I want to ask is what part of my configuration in my.cnf that is wrong ?

Thank you for your kindly attention.

Best Regards

Kemas Rahmat Saleh W ([EMAIL PROTECTED])