OK so how do you reconfigure? Here's what happens when I try this:
./configure CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer" CXX=gcc \
> CXXFLAGS="-O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors \
> -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" \
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql \
> --with-extra-charsets=complex --enable-thread-safe-client \
> --enable-local-infile --enable-shared
NOTE: This is a MySQL binary distribution. It's ready to run, you don't
need to configure it!

Michael Stassen wrote:

MySQL does not come in pieces for Mac OS X. The whole thing comes in one Mac OS X binary package in PKG format, downloaded as a disk image (.dmg) file <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Mac_OS_X_installation.html>. The installer puts everything in /usr/local/mysql-VERSION, with a symbolic link at /usr/local/mysql.

The package does not include a shared library, however, as it's built with the --disable-shared flag <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Mac_OS_X_10.x.html>.

Michael

Rob Kudyba wrote:

Where is there an OS X equivalent of:
"MySQL-client-VERSION.i386.rpm

The standard MySQL client programs. You probably always want to install
this package." which is referred to here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Linux-RPM.html

Specifically, I am looking for libmysqlclient.so.12 since you cannot
package that in applications since it would break the terms of the GPL.