I have a series of database tables focusing on the
world's nations. There are basic tables that give each
nation's abbreviation and parent (e.g. Eurasia) and
other tables that focus on information about the
people, government, etc.

Now I want to introduce some regional headers. For
example, current displays might look something like
this:

Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Portugal
Spain

Alaska
Arizona
Florida
Montana
Wyoming

I want to somehow modify my MySQL tables and/or the
PHP scripts I use to display data so that I have the
option of displaying data just like above, OR like
this:

NORTHERN EUROPE
Denmark
Finland
WESTERN EUROPE
France
Germany
SOUTHERN EUROPE
Portugal
Spain

FAR NORTH
Alaska
SOUTHWEST
Arizona
SOUTH
Florida
ROCKY MOUNTAINS
Montana
Wyoming

You can see an example of my ultimate goal at
http://www.geoworld.org/about/guide/world/eur/remote.php?order=2&direction=0&submit=Submit
 I'm designing this page to function as a pop-up
window that stays open as people click from nation to
nation. It uses a PHP script to order the nations
alphabetically or by population or other topics.

Eventually, I'd like to learn how to modify the switch
so that it can display nations or states with headings
- like ROCKY MOUNTAINS - then if you click another
setting, the nations are rearranged and the headings
aren't even visible.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask for tips about
incorporating these regional headings into my
database. My first hunch is to simply add them to one
of "basics" tables, like this:

NAME            ID    TYPE
United States   usa   Nation
Rocky Mountains  rm   Region
Colorado         co   State
Montana          mt   State

That way, I can simply display the entire table as is
- complete with the headins - or I can use PHP to
block every row where TYPE = Region.

Does this sound like sensible plan, or are there
better options? Thanks.