To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 6:06 PM
Subject: Best Practices

I am working on a data warehousing solution involving
mysql and have a question about best practices. We are
standardized on mysql 4.1, and this is for a rather
picky client.

We have a relational transaction database that stores
the results of customer calls and a dimensional
reporting database used as a data mart by several
applications. Each night, we run a process that
aggregates the number of calls, the subjects of each
call, and various other data to populate the reporting
database. We would like to move to a real time
solution, and are struggling with the best way to
implment it.

What we are considering is a solution where we mirror
the transactional database and repopulate key tables
in the reporting database every minute or few minutes.
I am loathe to do this, mainly because it would add to
our server load and could possibly lead to 'dirty
reads' (i.e. where one table in the reporting database
is populated with fresh data but others are not). At
the same time, the client is demanding we implement
something.

Does anyone have any war stories or suggestions for
how to accomplish this?

Thank You,