Thanks guys. I seem to have it working now. 'preciate it.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 11:05 AM
        To: Ferguson, Michael
        Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Re: ODBC connection

        The MySQL ODBC driver v3.51 acts as a pre-4.1 MySQL client. That
means it does not use the new (v4.1+) password hashing.

        http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Password_hashing.html
        http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Access_denied.html
        http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html

         I would create a new user just for your ODBC connection.(Use a
GRANT statement with all of the correct bells and whistles for your
situation)
        http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/GRANT.html

        GRANT SELECT on *.* to 'remoteuser'@'%'

        Then reset the password to the OLD hashing style

        UPDATE  mysql.user set
password=OLD_PASSWORD('plaintextpassword") where user='remoteuser';

        FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

        My example creates a pre-4.1 user account on your 4.1+ server
for the user 'remoteuser' with read-only rights to all databases on your
server with permission to login from anywhere. Adjust it to suit your
situation.

        One other gotcha that I had to figure out on my own... I had to
declare an initial database in my ODBC connection (DSN). Without it my
connections kept failing (sorry but I don't remember the exact message)
even when everything else was fine.

        Shawn Green
        Database Administrator
        Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

        "Ferguson, Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/12/2004
10:30:14 AM:

        > G'Day All,
        >
        > I am going nuts trying to setup ODBC to my MySQL database.
Help Please.
        > My workstation is WinXP Pro. I downloaded the MySQL ODBC 3.51,
unzipped
        > it and am trying to configure it to connect to the database on
a RedHat
        > ES box.
        >
        > In the Add Data Source Name my DSN is "closing" Description is
"TCAM"
        > server is "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" local ip address for my server. I
enter the
        > user and password and I keep getting the failure"
        >
        > [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Access denied for user
        > 'root'@'myworkstationname.domainname.com' ( using
password:YES)