Sasha Pachev wrote:

I did compile it from source, with the flags used for the binaries, and now it does work. I'm totally confused now.

Is it easy to upgrade from source? With the binary, I could have two separate directories and I would symlink the one I tested (most recent version) and could get back to the earlier version by just re-creating my symlink...

It can be even simpler than that, if you stay withing the same branch. Just replace mysqld and share/english/errmsg.sys ( or share/<your langauge>/errmsg.sys if you want them in your native language) with the files from the new version.

This is for the source, binary or both? Sorry to ask stupid questions, but I do have read 3 MySQL books (including yours), and went through the manual, and I've never really seen a section about updating MySQL.

And I'd really like to know what is wrong when I'm using the binary distribution.

Most likely a mistake of some kind on the part of MySQL AB. A similar problem has happened in the past.

I hope somebody on the build team is listening.

Hmmm, ok. Do you think I should file a bug?

Thanks,

Ugo