I have just installed MySQL Administrator on FreeBSD 5.2.1. I am trying to use the "Connect to MySQL Server Instance" dialog to establish a connection to a version: 4.0.22 MySQL server. I can establish a remote connection using:

mysql -h hostname -p -u username databasename

However, using MySQL Administrator, I get the following error:

Could not connect to host 'hostname'.
MySQL Error Nr. 1043
Bad handshake

I have UPDATED the database password as suggested using the OLD_PASSWORD()
function. Still not able to establish a connection.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,

cb

An answer to my own question. I have solved this problem which seems to be due to the way mysql 4.1.7 stores it's passwords. I used the mysql function OLD_PASSWORD to make mysql store it's passwords in the pre 4.1.x method. Basically the syntax is: mysql> UPDATE mysql.user SET Password = OLD_PASSWORD('newpwd') WHERE Host = 'some_host'
AND User = 'some_user';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Now I seem to be able to connect.

--ja