----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Cagle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Rhino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "MySql List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2004 12:11 AM
Subject: Re: summing from multiple tables

> > The solution to your problem is simple: don't attempt to do the final
> > query.
> > Each of your existing queries are perfectly fine the way they are and
> > give
> > sensible and meaningful answers. Simply run the 3rd and 4th queries as
> > two
> > separate queries rather than trying to combine them into one query.
>
> That would work, but I am doing calculations based on them and need
> both to do the calculations....

You *are* getting both; you just aren't getting them in the same result set.
Assuming you are executing both queries in the context of a program that has
variables, that should be sufficient for you to do just about anything you
can imagine. After all, most of the programs ever written work on the same
principles: they gather data in a variety of separate queries and then work
with them somehow; only the smallest programs work by gathering all of their
data in a single big query.

>thanks for the other info...I will read
> the stuff about join...

You're welcome.