Titus, Jeff,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Smelser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: I need to understand INNO better.

--nextPart3014813.KeZKZSIgGj

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 02:12 pm, Titus wrote:
I have converted some tables from MyISAM to INNO
using an ALTER TABLE statement.  It seems to work
fine.  However, when I copy that database to another
directory for purposes of backup, a subsequent 'use'
statement on the backup directory (db) reports that

  Didn't find any fields in table 'tblAssays'

After exploring I get a report that

Can't open file: 'tblAssays.InnoDB' (errno: 1)

the table data is in ibdata files. If you simply cp the .frm file to another directory, it does not change the ibdata files. See:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/InnoDB_troubleshooting_datadict.html

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?  Many
thanks.

Only two ways to make copies of innodb.. mysqlhotcopy (its not free)

mysqlhotcopy is free, but it works only for MyISAM.

See:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Backing_up.html

and=20
mysqldump.. This is assuming your not coping the entire db directory tree..

Maybe someone else knows of another.

Jeff

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php