Hello.

> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket

I guess you've got such error while executed mysql command line client program.

> The documentation had a little info.  Tried all that; didn't work.

What did you tried exactly? Have you looked at:

  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Can_not_connect_to_server.html

> The directory is there.

Does mysql have neccessary permissions for this directory? Was MySQL running

while you had attempts to connect? If not, then what in the error log? Send

us your my.cnf file. How did you started mysqld (what command line

options did you use)?

       <___/   www.mysql.com