Hi,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 01:41:15PM +0100, Basil Hussain wrote:
> >> I think I may have come up against a slight niggling omission concerning
> >> Merge tables. How does one find out what physical tables are mapped, other
> >> than by looking at the contents of the .MRG file?
> >>
> >> Surely this information should be displayed either when you do SHOW TABLE
> >> STATUS or by some other means?
> >
> > I never use SHOW TABLE STATUS, but you can use SHOW CREATE TABLE which
> > will give you the complete CREATE TABLE statement for the MERGE table.
> > This doesn't include the UNION part in MySQL 3.23.33, but I believe
> > this was fixed in MySQL 3.23.36 and later.

Actually it was implemented in 3.23.34, but 3.23.34 and 3.23.35 were
retracted because of some serious bugs.

> I did think of SHOW CREATE TABLE, but it didn't turn up anything when I
> tried it - now I know why. I'm using only version 3.23.32.
>
> Do you know if this fix in 3.23.36 is only concerning the client utilities,
> or would I have to upgrade my server too?

It's in the server. I don't use 3.23.36 (or 37) yet because this is not
important enough for me to warrant an update. My work-around is to list
all tables and assume that all names with a certain prefix are part of
the UNION (this should always be the case in my implementation).

> I still think the mapped tables should be shown in SHOW TABLE STATUS,
> though...

I didn't test it (I still use 3.23.33 with a patch) but the change list
says nothing about SHOW TABLE STATUS, so this probably hasn't changed.
FWIW, I agree with you.

Regards,

Fred.

--
Fred van Engen                              XO Communications B.V.
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             Televisieweg 2