"Tom Beidler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm running into more and more clients that would like to connect to
another
> database. Say there inventory tracking software. I was wondering if there
> was a good book out there or a web site that might have some info that I
can
> use to start thinking about strategies of connecting other dbs.

Connecting other databases to what?  If you're envisioning making legacy
databases talk to your MySQL database then you're probably in over your
head.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm saying that anyone that asks
the questions you did without providing more specific details probably
doesn't have the expertise to satisfy the client's needs.

> I'm looking for a starting point. Maybe I should wait till I have a
specific
> example?

An example would be useful, but some details would be more helpful.  This
doesn't even appear to be a MySQL issue.  More likely, it's a programming
issue and would be better suited for a mailing list related to your
programming language of choice.  PHP has functions for interfacing with a
number of databases, but it's impossible to say whether it supports your
clients' databases without knowing what they are.

--
Steve Werby
President, Befriend Internet Services LLC