I can use the binary distributions of MySQL without any problems.  I'm
currently using the binary distribution I got from Slackware, and it
works fine.  (That's the version reported by mysqlbug.)  Unfortunately,
binary distributions don't contain all the files necessary (such as
shared libraries) for many of the things I would like to use with MySQL.

I have attempted several times, with each of the past four releases
(3.23.33 - 3.23.36), to compile MySQL myself so I would have everything
I needed to use other applications and utilities in conjunction with
MySQL.  Every time, the configuration and compilation processes
succeeded normally, but when I tried to run the resulting daemon, all it
said was:

Segmentation fault

This happened with versions 33-35 before I had the Slackware MySQL
package installed.  There were no other versions present to cause any
conflicts then.  I just tried 36 today and got exactly the same result.
I did shutdown the running daemon before I tried to start the newly
compiled one, but I don't want to uninstall the package that does work
until I can replace it with something that does more than segfault.

They're installed in different locations, /usr for the Slackware binary
distribution, and /usr/local for the source distribution.  If someone
can suggest a reasonable way of ensuring there are no conflicts without
uninstalling, I'm willing to try it, but this is the first time there
has been anything to conflict with, and it appears to be the same
problem I've had for months without any other versions present.

I thought about downloading the source distribution from Slackware, but
they're always a few versions behind, and if I'm going to go to the
trouble of compiling this thing myself, I'd rather do it with the newest
version.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

>How-To-Repeat:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --localstatedir=/usr/local/var/mysql
make
make install
/usr/local/libexec/mysqld -h /usr/local/var/mysql

>Fix:

>Submitter-Id:  <submitter ID>
>Originator:    David Andrew Michael Noelle
>
>MySQL support: none
>Synopsis:      mysqld: immediate Segmentation fault
>Severity:      critical
>Category:      mysql
>Class:         sw-bug
>Release:       mysql-3.23.(33-36) (Source distribution)
>Server: /usr/bin/mysqladmin  Ver 8.17 Distrib 3.23.34, for slackware-linux-gnu on i386
Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult AB
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Server version          3.23.34
Protocol version        10
Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
UNIX socket             /var/run/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 7 min 6 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 1  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 6  Flush tables: 1  Open tables: 0
Queries per second avg: 0.002
>Environment:

System: Linux gauss 2.4.2 #2 Thu Mar 29 22:21:41 EST 2001 i586 unknown
Architecture: i586

Some paths:  /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/make /usr/bin/gmake /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/cc
GCC: Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
Compilation info: CC='gcc'  CFLAGS=''  CXX='c++'  CXXFLAGS=''  LDFLAGS=''
LIBC:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           11 Jan 31 04:06 /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      4808643 Nov 20 17:11 /lib/libc-2.2.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root     24076056 Nov 20 17:07 /usr/lib/libc.a
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          178 Nov 20 17:07 /usr/lib/libc.so
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           29 Jan 31 04:13 /usr/lib/libc.so.1 ->
/usr/i486-sysv4/lib/libc.so.1
Configure command: ./configure  --prefix=/usr --with-mysqld-user=mysql
--with-unix-socket-path=/var/run/mysql.sock --localstatedir=/var/lib/mysql
--with-pthread --enable-thread-safe-client --enable-assembler --with-raid
--with-libwrap --without-bench i386-slackware-linux