On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 09:15 -0600, Jeff Smelser wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 November 2004 07:32 am, Hristo Chernev wrote:
> > How to upgrade from 3.23.58 to 4.1.7? Which is the easiest way with minimal
> > risk and downtime?
>
> Yeah right.. ;)
>
> > Background: Heavy loaded mysql server, only one database but it is huge -
> > 5GB.The database is replicated to another server.Mysql 3.23.58.Linux OS.
> >
> > Here is the my plan, please correct me if there is a better way or if I am
> > doing unnecessary actions:
>
> > 1. Stop the site and mysql servers and backup database.
> > 2. Upgrade mysql versions on the two machines.
> > 3. Compiling apache and php with new mysql 4.1 client lib.
> > 4. Recreate users and rights ( the provided script fix_privilege_table will
> > not work correctly form 3.23. to 4.1. will it?).
> > 5. Start main mysql server without replication.
> > 6. Rename database to olddb.
> > 7. Create new database named db.
> > Do one of 8a or 8b:
> > 8a.Dump olddb with mysqldump, then run the result file to fill the new db
> > (in order to have native 4.1 database ).
> > 8b.Using SQL queries (or phpmyadmin) copy all tables from olddb to new db
> > (in order to have native 4.1 database ).
> > 9. Assure that all is correct then delete olddb, copy database to the slave
> > and start mysql servers.
> > 10. Confirm replication is ok, then start the site.
>
> This is a good list.. My suggestion would be to do this on some sort of
> back/dev machine.. php doesnt just work with 4.1 automatically (depending on
> version).
>
> Not sure which distro u use, that could be a driving factor of problems you
> may see to.
>
> Jeff

I am actually in the process of planning a similar upgrade for our
database server. None of our databases are that big, but was wondering
about what "gotcha's" I should be on the lookout for. I planned on
walking through the upgrade pages from mysql.com for going from 3.23 to
4.0 and 4.0 to 4.1. I was hoping not to have to re-create the databases
as the original poster mentioned, but I don't have a slave DB setup
either. Will this be an issue?

Greg