Brooks, this isn't an answer to your question, but a question to you regarding what you have done.

I would like to do a query such as:
SELECT title FROM books WHERE title LIKE '%Francais%';

And in return get:

+----------+
| title    |
+----------+
| Français |
+----------+

Does the "CHARACTER SET utf8 collate utf8_unicode_ci" allow for this?

How would one set the collation of international characters with english characters for searching?

Thanks
Andrew

Brown, Brooks wrote:
All of the unicode collations listed in the reference manual except the binary
collations are not sensitive to diacritical marks.  That is, if I do the
following:

create table t ( filename varchar(260) ) type=InnoDB CHARACTER SET utf8 collate
utf8_unicode_ci;

-- insert an e-acute
insert into t values ( x'c3a9' );

mysql> select * from t where filename = 'e';
+------+
| f    |
+------+
| é    |
+------+

The problem is that e really isn't the same as e-acute for the file system.
Ideally, what I want is a collation that is case insensitive, but is sensitive
to diacritical symbols, but a case sensitive collation would be okay if it were
sensitive to diacritical symbols?  Is there none available for utf8 as the
manual indicates?  If not, how difficult would it be to develop one?

I am using 4.1.3 on Mac OS X.

Brooks R. Brown
Software Engineer
Extensis, Inc.