How did you deduce that the database server is the bottleneck? Are all your processes running on the same machine?

Andrew Nelson wrote:

Hi,

I have a MySQL 3.23.55 server managing accounts on my exim mail server..
The table type on all tables MyISAM.. I have the MTA performing various queries
for each incoming email - determining mail aliases, vacation messages and
filtering rules etc but they're all pretty much SELECT statements.. I know
this isn't ideal and i've started replacing runtime queries with processes that
search text files instead (generated every few minutes etc) but it should
still be able to cope I would have thought?

At it's busiest, it's performing about 8 trivial queries per second. It's a Xeon
2.6Ghz machine with 1Gb of RAM (running on FreeBSD) but it's grinding to a halt.

I have to keep stopping and restarting the MySQL server to regain speed.
As there's many processes trying to access the same tables to do SELECTs I
thought it might be a locking issue.. BDB didn't seem to help - can anyone
suggest something that might help?

Thanks,
Andrew.