On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 10:30:25AM -0500, Michael J. Pawlowsky wrote:
> I've been trying to implement full text searches.
>
> Genreally I use either LIKE or REGEXP for searches but wanted to try
> some Full Text Searches.
>
> It's wonderfully fast and is working well for full words, however I have
> not found a way to add wildcards in a search.
>
> For example if in my text fields I have the word "residential" I would
> like the key "resident" to match it.
>
> Is there any way to do this in Full Text Searches?

If you are doing the search in Boolean mode, you can add '*' to the end
of a word to match all words beginning with that prefix.

For example:

  SELECT record FROM table
   WHERE MATCH (record) AGAINST ('resident*' IN BOOLEAN MODE)

(Using 'IN BOOLEAN MODE' requires MySQL 4.0 or later.)

--
Jim Winstead
MySQL Inc.