I've been using mysql 4.1 since the first day it was out; it's all been
trial and error.  If I remember correctly, I found it on 4.1.0 when I was
doing a processlist, and noticed that some of the boxes connecting to mysql
had reverse and others didn't.  So now we actually go to the /etc/hosts file
and name all of our boxes something just in the hosts file so it will be
easier to know exactly what everything is.

You might still want to file that as a bug and you can at least have mysql
determine if it's a bug or not.  They will probably say it's on some
documentation like on page 13,645 paragraph 12 or something so they won't
consider it a bug.  But at least this way somebody else may know about the
problem.

Donny