Putty has an option in the Connection category of the configuration for
Seconds between keepalives. It's set to zero (off) by default. If you
set it to > 0 number, putty will send a null packet at the server to try
and keep the connection alive. Have you tried that?

--
Pat Adams
Applications Programmer