>From the brief sound of it your using myISAM, and the query taking the
most time is not indexed or using an index properly.

Alters will lock the table, and once it starts it should finish or your
going to have to recover the table. I suggest taking an outage. If you
can't

Make a replica of the server, put it in a master slave role. Alter the
slave (ensure the new column has a default) swap the roles OR copy the
table if the application can handle having writes  blocked. If not, the
slave must take the role of master, and the previous master can go away.

-----Original Message-----
From: matt_lists [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 10:05 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Limit drive usage per thread

Is there any way to limit drive usage per thread?

I have a problem where an update thread will use 100 % of the drive, and
simple index searches that should be instant will wait and wait and wait
before responding.

I dont want one user to kill everybody else

I'm adding a column to a large table for a client, but every client is
getting hit with a database that seems to be locked up